Sunday, June 10, 2012

A giant post on a very Baltimore day.

An afternoon that starts off with a drink like this can't be bad. 

Maryland makes a mean bloody mary. 


I am in Baltimore visiting Chris and today we went to Hampden with some friends to go to some festival called "Honfest". I had absolutely no idea what to expect I just knew street festivals and I got along really well. But when we showed up and an abnormal amount of people were dressed in 50s gear and had large beehive looking wigs on I questioned it. What exactly is "honfest"?!!?

So here ya go and now ya know...

"HonFest is a local tradition. The Bawlmer term of endearment, Hon, short for Honey, embodies the warmth and affection bestowed upon our neighbors and visitors alike by historic working-women of Baltimore. HonFest is an annual celebration in honor of these women."
"Since 1994, HonFest has grown from a tiny Baltimore's Best Hon pageant behind Café Hon, to a nationally recognized festival that covers four city blocks on Hampden's very own 36th Street. In recent years, the festival has been acknowledged by The New York Times, Rachel Ray's Tasty Travels, Nightly News with Brian Williams, The New York Post, Southern Living, The LA Times, HGTV, CNN, and just this April by The New Yorker."



Some people took this so seriously and I loved it. 

"The term Hon is actually a friendly greeting and comes from the word honey. Around here, however, the women who vie to become Baltimore’s Best Hon are a vision of the sixties-era. They are women with beehive hairdos, bright-blue eye shadow, spandex pants and anything with leopard print!"

This was taken through the window of the fabulous restaurant we ate brunch at. You can't get the full effect of her leopard wearin, cleavage bearin, two pairs of glasses on, cig hanging out of mouth, aqua net luggin self but you get the idea. She wasn't playin.


Marg Simpson inspired beehive wig?


A yummy frozen drink to cure the 98 degree heat. Love the little glasses :) 



Where bee hives were being born… 


 I just loved this woman she was so serious. 





 No joke. She rocked that thing.


 CJS.



Little ladies need beehives too.



He just loved him some flamingos!




 She probably actually worked in Baltimore in the 50s. 


 Awesome wine bar we stopped in to beat the heat with some cool beverages. I didn't even drink wine! Must go back.



 Back in college when my dream was to design bars…..


this was what I had in mind.




 The epitome of honfest…. 

leopard, flamingo, and slurpee. 



Beer cans as rollers? Efficient.


Had to post one of the housing in Baltimore. I love it. I don't know what its called but let me get back to you as I have many photos to post of them. They are all connected and have so much character I can't even handle it I must live in one. Chris does not agree. :( 


Had a really great time today and yesterday too! So much to see, enjoy, do. Love. love, love this state. 


<3 

No comments: